Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

What's for dinner? I didn't take anything out for dinner tonight and had no clue what to make. I find myself starring in the pantry and tapping my fingers on the counter top. Hmmm... What can I do with a can of refried beans cause we've only got like 8 cans in the pantry. That's when I remembered the leftover tortillas from tacos this weekend and what do you know we've got a can of chicken and enchilada sauce. I can pair that with some cheese...I bet I can whip up some Chicken Enchiladas. *Crossing my fingers* for a tasty dinner.

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

12.5oz can Chunk Chicken Breast in Water (drained)
16oz can Fat Free Refried Beans
10oz can Enchilada Sauce
28 corn tortillas
1 2/3 cup Colby & Monterey Jack shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350' and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. In a mixing bowl combine chicken, refried beans and 1/2 can of enchilada sauce. Stir well. Corn tortillas are super thin and often fall apart easily so I doubled up each enchilada. Take 2 corn tortillas and put 1/14th of the mixture on it. Now if you know me well you know I'm meticulous when it comes to portion sizes. I personally weighed out the mixture and divided it by 14 and made sure EACH enchilada had the exact same amount of filling. This is not necessary but I would recommend it if you're a calorie counting fool like me :) Anyways, place the mixture on the tortillas and fold the tortilla like a burrito. Place the seam side down on the pan. When all tortillas are filled and in the pan spread the remaining enchilada sauce over them. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 mins. Enjoy with a dollop of sour cream and/or salsa. You may want to reduce the this recipe in 1/2 if you're a smaller family...this recipe feed our family of 7 and we have 3 enchiladas left over.

The 3 left over enchiladas :)

Nutrition Information (per Enchilada)
Calories: 174
Calories from Fat: 44.6
Total Fat: 4.96g
Saturated Fat: 2.79g
Cholesterol: 21.79mg
Sodium: 456.43mg
Total Carbohydrate: 20.82g
Dietary Fiber: 3.25g
Sugars: 1.45g
Protein: 12.71g

*Note: I would recommend using 2% shredded cheese which will reduce the calories in this quite a bit :) regular shredded cheese is all we had in the house this evening :(

In my calorie counting adventures of weight loss (which by the way I lost 4.2lbs this week for a total of 105.2lbs LOST since July 2008) I currently only pay attention to nutrition numbers in the follow categories: calories, dietary fiber and protein. With that said, this was an awesome dinner and VERY filling. I had 2 enchiladas for 348 calories topped with 1 serving of Fat Free Sour Cream 20 calories and 2 Tablespoons of Salsa for 10 calories. 378 calorie dinner...that means there's room for dessert :) And it was VERY tasty...even my anti-diet food husband had seconds!!

Let me know if you decide to give this a try. I'd like to know what you thought of it and if you made any alterations.

1 comment:

  1. They look really good, Jenny!! I might try it meatless. :)

    ReplyDelete